Friday, 11 March 2016

Fedrigoni

So you may or may not know I went back to school this year. Id done a few years in Manchester then dropped out, grew Dumpster into the little gem it is, and then thought id try my hand at uni again. However I did the classic daisy thing.. and once again got bitten on the ass by a smug post about making it past 2nd year...

(my blog post two years ago)

Yeh, well I didn’t even make it to second year. I deferred because dumpster is an addiction and however much I try and better my skills, the bastard keeps calling me back.

So in the short stint of a year I did do at uni I found out there was a brief to do with paper in the second year. Obviously, paper my jam. And I wanted to do it, however sticking around for a whole other year just to do this brief seemed foolish. So I got my sly on and found a way to be eligible to enter anyway.

Its been so refreshing making a dress for myself for the first time in ages. I didn’t have the pressure of meeting a clients spec and also the dread of them paying me a bomb and getting it wrong. I could do what I liked and it has been amazing. The brief is to do with a paper brand named Fedrigoni, who are opening a new store in Covent garden. Fedrigoni are a shit hot Italian paper brand, so I latched on to this and the new location of the store and created an Italian Opera inspired dress. Fit for a La Traviata pop up paper performance in the center of Covent garden.

So I got folding and fanning. it was the first time id used just paper to make a dress in years and HOT DAMN, I forgot how much a paper cut can sever you. However I found some dead jazzy plasters with bumble bees on.. so you know, silver linings.





The dress only took a couple days to knock up then it was photoshoot time. It was Bruce’s maiden voyage and he came through like a trooper, along with a surprisingly girthy boot.


The dream team was back up and running, this time around my model came equipped with baby. This thing was so damn cute I’m considering making it a must have for all future models. Considering we had 3 different backgrounds to shoot, a limited amount of time, a baby on set and a six foot model in a dress made for someone 5’7, the whole thing went surprisingly well. I felt like one of those aborigine women with baby strapped to their head/back/limbs. I was jetting around art directing, mending things, gluing things all the while cradling this baby. I even popped to the cafĂ© downstairs to microwave its bottle of milk in between a lighting change. However I think I was a bit big for my boots there as he then spewed on me after having it, white shirt and all. However its me and i would probably make more of a mess left to my own devices.







So there we have it. Beaut model, dream photographer...and me.. smelling like baby sick.





Nailed it.



No comments:

Post a Comment